Skip to content
Please be advised that our parcel couriers are currently experiencing some service delays that are beyond our control. NEXT DAY DELIVERY IS CURRENTLY NOT GUARANTEED. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Please be advised that our parcel couriers are currently experiencing some service delays that are beyond our control. NEXT DAY DELIVERY IS CURRENTLY NOT GUARANTEED. We thank you in advance for your patience.

Nitric acid spill at landfill site injures eleven

A spilled nitric acid container resulted in injuries to nine workers and two paramedics after they were exposed at a landfill site.

The eleven injured people were taken to a hospital in Dunfermline in Scotland by a team of ambulances after they were exposed to the fumes at Lochhead landfill site in Fife.

Most of those who were exposed were released after being checked over while one person had to stay overnight whilst their condition was monitored.

A specialist spill operations team was sent to the site which was closed for four hours while investigations and a spill clean-up operation took place.

Michael Enston from Fife Council stated:

"No members of the public have been injured during this incident and all of the emergency services have been present.

"The landfill site was closed and the area evacuated as a precaution, with all landfill operations suspended. Lochhead has now reopened but the materials recovery facility remains closed until decontamination procedures have been completed."

On the scene were two ambulances, a special operations unit, four fire service appliances and officers from the Fife constabulary.

Previous article Understanding Requirements for Hazardous Substances: Prevention, Storage, and Clean Up

Compare products

{"one"=>"Select 2 or 3 items to compare", "other"=>"{{ count }} of 3 items selected"}

Select first item to compare

Select second item to compare

Select third item to compare

Compare